So I decided my blog needed a little face lift… I am loving this new theme! I will be playing around with layouts etc. over the next few days so you will have to let me know what you think. To launch the new look, I figured we could celebrate with brownies! (I mean, any sort of celebration that involves brownies has to be simply fantastic). I was very excited when I came across this recipe… I really love chocolate covered pretzels so I knew these treats would be awesome. Oh man. These were to die for. You can also make these gluten free by substituting an all purpose gluten free flour mix and gluten free pretzels. I made both versions and both turned out great!
Ingredients for the Pretzel Crust:
- 1/2 cup pretzels (gluten free if using this option)
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
Ingredients for the Brownies:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup nutella (yes, nutella is gluten free if you buy the nutella brand)
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2/3 cup flour (gluten free blend if using this option)
- 1/4 tsp salt
PLUS: extra Nutella for frosting and extra pretzels for garnishing
- To make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place the pretzels in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until broken up into tiny pieces. Add the sugar and pulse until combined, then pour in the butter. Continue pulsing until combined.
- Press the pretzel mixture firmly into the prepared pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are golden and the crust feels firm.
- While the crust is baking, make the brownies batter:
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs and blend well.
- Add vanilla, salt, and nutella. Mix until combined.
- Add cocoa and flour. Make sure you don’t overbeat!
- Pour into pan over pretzel crust and bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes. Or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool for at least 45 minutes before frosting with nutella spread and garnishing with pretzels.
Source: Recipe adapted from Nutella Pretzel Brownies by Chef in Training