As I have mentioned before, I totally love breakfast. It is by far my favourite meal of the day. I really try to make time to enjoy a cup of coffee and a delicious bowl of steel cut oats or something before taking off for work but depending on my schedule this isn’t always possible! I usually have some some baked breakfast treats in the freezer to grab on my way out the door in a pinch. These little muffins are tasty, healthy, and perfect for rushed mornings when you need something quick!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups instant oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups vanilla flavoured yogurt
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup grated apples
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins
For the Drizzle (if using):
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp apple juice or fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease your muffin tins (either full size or mini) with a little canola oil.
- Combine wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl (don’t add apples, carrots or raisins yet).
- Combine dry ingredients together and add to the wet mixture.
- Now you can add the grated apples, carrots and raisins.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
- Heat the honey and juice in a small sauce pan and drizzle over the muffins while they are still warm.
Source: Recipe modified from Health Fridge Muffins by Whitewater Cooks