Do you want your entire kitchen to smell like the inside of a Cinnabon store? No point in answering that question really… the answer is usually always YES. I’ve been on a total cupcake craze lately. I don’t know what it is… they are just so fun to make. and cute to look at. and delicious to eat. These treats are a little labor intensive but really, really worth the effort. Just imagine warm vanilla cupcakes with a brown sugar/cinnamon swirl topped with an ooey-gooey coffee flavored cream cheese frosting. Hungry yet?! :)
Thanks for sharing this recipe with me Gwennie!
Recipe yields 12 cupcakes
For the Cinnamon Swirl:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 3 cup powdered sugar (add more or less to make it a stiffness that you like)
To make the filling:
- In a small bowl, stir all of the ingredients together until combined. Set aside.
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 C). Line a muffin pan with cupcake papers; set aside.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Scrape the bowl, making sure there are no streaks of flour remaining (do not over mix).
- Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter in each of the paper liners in the prepared muffin pan. Make a small well in the middle of each cup of batter with a toothpick, Stir the filling to make sure the butter is combined, then spoon a scant 1 teaspoon of the filling into each cup. Use a toothpick to swirl the filling and batter together.
- Add another 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter to each cup and repeat the filling/swirling process.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Mix butter, coffee extract and cream cheese on medium speed until well combined (approximately 30 seconds).
- Slowly add powdered sugar a little at a time and mix until frosting is light and fluffy (approximately 2-3 minutes).
Source: Cinnamon Roll Cupcake recipe adapted from Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes by Bakingdom