There really is not much to say about these cupcakes. If you like rocky road ice cream, this dessert is for you – in cupcake form! I’ve seen several blogs post recipes where brownie mix is used as the cupcake batter and I’ve always been a little intrigued. The only problem with making these was that I could not find marshmallow fluff ANYWHERE. I must have gone to 4 different grocery stores. So, in frustration while perusing the shelves at Loblaws I just went online to figure out how to make my own. Turns out it is super easy. Check out the recipe here. Just beware this recipe makes a LOT of marshmallow fluff. I halved the recipe and still ended up with almost 4 cups of the stuff! More marshmallow fluff recipes to follow haha.
- 1 box Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff (use approximately one jar or just make your own and measure out 7 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine brownie mix, eggs, oil, and water. Stir with a wooden spoon until completely combined. Divide batter into the 12 muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet.
- Using a small knife, cut a circle out of each cupcake, going 1/3 – 1/2 of the way down. Fill with marshmallow creme and put the little circle you cut out back onto the cupcake. For a great step by step tutorial on filling cupcakes click here.
To make the chocolate butter cream frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Cream butter for a few minutes in a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Turn off the mixer. Sift 3 cups powdered sugar and cocoa into the mixing bowl. Turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the dry ingredients do not blow everywhere) until the sugar and cocoa are absorbed by the butter.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add a little more sugar.
- If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Top cupcakes with mini marshmallows, chopped peanuts (or walnuts) and chocolate chips.