Last weekend I attended a surprise wedding shower for one of the girls in my Bible study. Megs is getting married this summer so we wanted to show her how excited we are for her and her man Kirk :) It was a really great night. Lots of laughing, drinking of wine and of course, CUPCAKES (nom nom nom). Megs has similar food sensitivities to mine so when her sister Kylie asked me to make something Meg would like, I was all over it. I searched around for some recipe ideas and finally settled on a basic vanilla cupcake with a vegan almond buttercream frosting.
Yeeeeah, so I’m not going to lie… I was a little nervous about the frosting. Vegan frosting? What does that even mean? Skepticism aside, this frosting turned out amazing. As in, I like even better than regular buttercream (whaaat?) This stuff is silky, its smooth, its SO FLUFFY! The only difference is that it is a little shinier than regular buttercream so you have to make sure you get the texture consistency right. You can see how its a bit shinier in the picture. This cupcake recipe is a step above the previous gluten free vanilla cupcake recipe I posted… I’m learning so much about what flours work best. I’ve mentioned before as well, gluten free baked goods dry out super fast. If you are not going to eat these the day of, its usually best to wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them until needed. I would definitely recommend this recipe for you gluten free geeks out there!
Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) brown rice flour mix
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 mL) salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean (you can use a tsp. of vanilla extract if you don’t have any beans)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Position rack in centre of oven.
- Place cupcake baking liners in a 12-cupcake baking pan.
- Beat sugar and eggs in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed for one minute.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, oil, milk and vanilla bean seeds; beat at medium speed for one minute. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Place in centre of oven and bake for about 17-20 minutes or until centre springs back when touched and cupcakes are very lightly browned. Cool on rack for five minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan onto rack and cool completely before icing.
- 1 cup Earth Balance Vegan Spread
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1.5 to 3 Tbsp almond milk (plus more as needed)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In a mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup of Earth Balance (or equivalent) with an electric mixer.
- Mix in the milk, extract, and salt.
- Gradually add in the sifted icing sugar, starting with 1 cup and mixing slowly until fully combined.
- Mix all the ingredients in a stand mixer for 5-10 minutes until nice and fluffy. Alternatively you can beat the frosting with a handheld mixer, for at least 4-5 minutes. You will want to add more almond milk if it is a bit too dry.
CONGRATS MEGS! xoxo