Once again we were out of dog treats and I was getting a little low on peanut butter so I thought I’d experiment a little in this department. Second to peanut butter, Darby loooooves cheese. I mean, you drop a piece and he usually gobbles it up before it even has a chance to hit the floor! Once again Darby sat with his nose pressed against the oven door, waiting for these treats to bake. These treats are a slight modification from the ones I posted previously on this blog. The dough turns out a little different than the peanut butter treats so if you are looking for cookies you can cut with a cookie cutter, use the peanut butter recipe.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (plus more if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Stir in milk, chopped bacon and cheddar cheese until a soft dough forms (you may have to add a little more flour if the dough seems really sticky).
- Roll out the dough with your hands to make half inch balls (you may want to make these a little bigger if your dog is bigger than mine!)
- Place balls on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes or until slightly crunchy.
- Cool and store in an airtight container for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to one month.
Note: If your pup has any dietary issues, be sure to consult with your vet before feeding these treats to your furry friend.