If I had to choose my favourite meal of the day, I would definitely choose breakfast. Hands down. No comparison. However, sometimes there really just isn’t time for it… especially if I have to run out the door to an early meeting. That being said, one thing I quite often like to have on hand are muffins. While my stand by favourite is and will always be banana chocolate chip (how can you mess with that delicious combo?) I am always on the lookout for new recipes. Here is a new one from the 2011 Spring edition of the LCBO Food & Drink magazine. I made a few modifications and was pretty happy with the results. The orange glaze adds a really nice touch! Next time I think I’ll also sprinkle a few pecans on top for a little extra garnish. Also, these definitely taste best warm so eat up!
Pecan Orange Glazed Spice Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- finely grated peel of 1 large orange
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Grease 12 muffin cups
- In a medium bowl, whisk flours with cinnamon,
baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and allspice.
Stir in raisins.
- In a large bowl, stir yogurt with sugar, applesauce and eggs. Stir flour mixture into yogurt mixture until combined. Stir in pecan pieces, grated peel and 2 Tablespoons of orange juice.
- Bake in the centre of preheated oven until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan and dip into glaze.
- While muffins are cooling in the pan, place orange juice and 3 Tablespoons sugar into a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring for about 1 minute until mixture is syrupy and glaze like. Holding the muffin by its base, dip tops into the glaze. Cool on rack.
Source: Adapted from the 2011 Spring edition of the LCBO Food & Drink Magazine